Thursday, March 20, 2014

Up-cycling and DIYing

So spring is here and that means warmer weather and if your like me that means a lot of t-shirts! Well, I have to say, being a person who loves fashion and being comfy, I have a love hate relationship with t-shirts. Why? One because they can be so plain and have no style to them and I love them because they are just so comfy. Also, spring means spring cleaning and that means cleaning out closets of clothes you don't wear anymore. So I have an awesome craft today to fix that problem!

No-Sew Peter Pan Colar Necklace: 


Things you will need:
  • old shirt
  • t-shirt
  • scissors
  • felt
  • glue
  • ribbon

So I started with an old jean shirt I had for the collar part and then a T-shirt to use for tracing out the collar.




Sorry, I'm not very fancy and don't have a pattern, I just drew it out myself. (I do things the hard way!) So what I did was place a paper inside the shirt up around the collar. I folded it in half to so I could find the middle.


Then I drew out just one half the collar and cut it out. 






Next I traced it on the inside of the old jean shirt. Doing 2 flipped right side up and 2 upside down. If your like me and make mistakes easily make 2, it came in handy when I realized I messed up halfway through with one of the steps.




 Now, get your felt and repeat the previous step.


Cut all the shapes out now and get your ribbon and glue ready. I measured the ribbon out longer just so I would have room for mistakes and could cut it down to the perfect size for my neck after I'm done.


Place glue on one side of the fabric and one side of the felt. Make sure that when you put them on top of each other they match, this is where I accidentally glued on the wrong side and when I was going to place them on top of each other they didn't match.


 place ribbon down on the felt so that it the edges won't stick out on the sides of the collar.


Now place fabric over the felt and ribbon so that it evenly matches and repeat this step with the rest of your fabric, felt and ribbon.


Ok so I lied, there is a tiny bit of sewing in this project. 


However, its super simple just flip it over to the back where the felt is facing up and sew the two pieces together. Only sew the felt part so you won't see it on the front side. 


And now you are done! You know have a wonderful piece to wear with those plain T's this spring and summer! 








No comments:

Post a Comment