Wednesday, August 27, 2014

ADVENTURING!

Adventuring... that's the word I am going to use to describe my life right now. I've been keeping very busy thanks to many hobbies I have picked up. Though I've been going to bed late and tired most nights I have been enjoying everything I've been doing.

Here's how it all started:

Two weeks ago our family went to Idaho to go visit family, friends and for Paul to go fishing. While we were there we decided to pick some apples from the BYU-Idaho orchard so we could make apple sauce since we wouldn't be able to get any apples from Paul's parents this year. We had a pretty fun time picking and tasting a few apples. When our basket got full we went to go weigh it and pay for the apples, which was 50 cent a pound, and we were at 35 pounds! Holy cow that was a lot, but we looked up on google how many quarts that might make and it said roughly 12 so we decided to get 5 more pounds to make it an easy even 20 dollars to pay. The rest of the time we spent going to the city fair, visiting with family and friends. We had a wonderful time being back in Idaho. 

We got home pretty late on Sunday because we like to travel while Sawyer is asleep so the next day I was so tired I didn't really feel like getting started on the applesauce. Then on tuesday I started the craziness that is making and canning applesauce! The first time we did this we had a lot of help and I have to say that it is definitely not a one man job, you need a family of 9 kids to do this kind of work! Also, I need to say that I am so grateful that my in-laws were kind enough to let us borrow their Victorio Strainer! That machine seriously makes life easier, no need to peel and core apples it does that for you! Though it was very tedious work cutting all 40 pounds of apples into quarters, cooking them down in a pot with some water and then hand cranking them through that machine.


 As soon as I got started and got the first full bowl full with just one and a half batches of apples I had done I started to worry about how much it was going to make! After making all the applesauce and the bottling started we found that we had made 20 quarts of applesauce! Oh man, the internet failed us this time, 40 pounds was a little too much! However, its great food storage and we have a need for it with our babies so we aren't complaining! (Also hoping to do a future blog post on food storage so stay tuned!) That night we started the long task of sealing the cans. Sealing the cans wasn't that hard to do the directions I found on this site were very clear and easy to follow but how long it takes is what killed me. We started it way too late and had to stay up past 1 to make sure everything was done with the first batch. Thats also the other thing that makes it take so long is the fact that you can seal only 7 at a time in the water bath canner we were using.  



Well the next day I remembered I had a bag of plums I had gotten from my mom I decided to make some jam with it! Well talk about some more crazy adventuring in my life! I have never made jam in my life! So after cutting all the fruit it took quite a bit of researching to learn how to make some good low sugar jam made with clear jel. After a while I finally found a blog that gave some good information about how to use clear jel with making jams found here, which it took me quite a while to find this site let me tell you most people use pectin! After getting that all done I think finally on Thursday I had finished it all! That night I had said to Paul "I am so relieved that all that canning is finally done with!" and he looked at me kind of funny and asked me why. Well, though I loved doing it and it was great feeling getting so much done, I really wanted to get back to sewing! So if you haven't seen on Facebook or don't follow me on Instagram you probably haven't seen the little projects I've been doing for this little baby girl.  I seriously have started an obsession with sewing clothes for her, it has taken over my mind. Not only has it taken over my mind but also my dining room table! I don't know the last time it was clean but I guess I have kind of claimed it as my "work space". I'm not a professional by no means but I have been improving tremendously and the things I have made I think are pretty cute, even more cute than the things at stores because I would actually wear them!  I wish I was more professional with all these things though, so I could post DIY's and pattern's but sadly I am still just trying to figure things out for myself! Lastly I made  plum fruit leather, having another bag of plums from my mom, and man oh man it was good! Hopefully I can get a post for that recipe for you all soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment